Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lamb Stew w/Dumplings

Well, I've recycled my venison stew recipe, and made some modifications for using fresh lamb, and I think it was another success. This time, I was using fresh lamb cut into cubes (labeled and sold as stew meat at the supermarket... not sure what cut it came from), and I also did not have any fresh rosemary, so I used the dried stuff, and I didn't have any milk, so I mixed up some dry milk, and I didn't have any celery, so I just put in a couple more carrots, and didn't have any vegetable stock, so I just used water, and I now wish I had used the fresh cauliflower I have, but forgot about it, because it would've really given the stew some serious vegetable presence, but the real winner I discovered with this stew was the use of... Turmeric!

Yes, I added about a tablespoon or two of Turmeric, and it really brought the stew to life with a rich yellow color, and, combined with the coriander, a very slight reference to curry, which of course goes hand in hand with lamb. The use of dried rosemary actually helped the recipe, I think because it came through stronger than before, and it really did nothing but improve the bouquet.

To start this stew, I browned the meat in the oil and butter, then removed the meat to a bowl, and continued with the venison recipe, making an onion roux. Then deglazed w/water, added the meat and the rest of the veggies, added the spices, brought to a boil, and then reduced to a simmer for about an hour or so. Then made the dumplings, cooked them 10 minutes uncovered, 10 covered, then removed the stew from the heat to let cool for about 30 minutes, then served.

Deeeelishus!

No comments: