Monday, December 13, 2010

And there was much walking.

That weird b.o. & colored pencil shavings smell is trapped in the Pompadou, just like in the Getty. It was right in the entrance in the Getty, but in the Pompadou it's at the entrance to Gallery 1. Blegh.

After about four hours of walking, the iconic red-flecked exoskeleton of the Centre Georges Pompidou finally peeked around the corner! I could spend all week here! And I just might.

I was ecstatic to discover that one of the two current exhibitions is a combo Piet Mondrian/De Stijl show! I bought my ticket and headed straight to the Gallery, obliviously skipping over the largest modern art museum in Europe, right through that weird b.o./pencil smell and into the exhibition.

Holy crap! I didn't even get through the first room, of like 20, and all these ideas and revelations came busting into my head! I had to walk straight through the rest of the show and back down to the bookstore to buy a pen and pad.

I started writing them down here, but really it's like several pages, and there's a sketch of a frame, and I can't cherry-pick them. Maybe some other time.

Anyway, I stayed there for a couple hours then took the subway to an area foretold to have great bistros. It was about 6pm when I learned that most restaurants in Paris don't open for business until 7, so I had to wander utterly aimlessly around the 6th district for an hour.

I need to sleep now, but here's the rest... Sticking to my "platte du jour" strategy, I had a foie gras appetizer and blanquette de veau for the main course. I think the wine was a Côtes du Rhône.

I hope I can walk tomorrow.

1 comment:

KateMadd/skmckinn said...

No way!!! You're in Paris? Tell Les Halles "salut!" for me. And go to the Place De Luxembourg and sit alone on a bench eating a sandwich.