Thursday, January 24, 2008

Macy's Credit Card Ripoff Revisited

Well, just got off the phone with Corinne at Macy's Credit Services, and she informed me that because I didn't opt out in the first 30 days, it is too late. I explained that I didn't realize I had the account in the first 30 days.

I'm not really sure this fiasco is blog worthy, but I leave it posted as a cautionary tale.

She said there was really nothing she could do. I tried to calmly blurt out that if I could not be given a satisfactory resolution to this situation, I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and the MO Attorney General's office. The words sounded rushed, and I think I took a slight breath in the middle of the sentence. I really don't like threatening people, and for some reason in that moment I had difficulty detaching. I was trying to be both personable with Corinne, and firmly stand up for myself against the Macy's corporation.

I was careful to keep my FM voice, and to let her finish speaking before I spoke. Things like that go a long way with people when dealing with a stressful situation, and people like Corinne have to deal with these situations all day long, but she wasn't mean.

She explained that the two-account system was described in the documentation sent to me, and I responded by asking her if she thought any sensible person would be able to determine that they were given two accounts on a single card by reading that fine print.

After a brief waiting period she came back on the phone and said that it turns out I can still be opted out of the Visa card.

And there was much rejoicing.

No comments:

Blog Archive